The Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo
Western province - Bangalore

Villa Borromeo, 44/1, Hennur Road, St. Thomas Town - (P.O) Bangalore – 560084

 

St.Charles Convent, New Town, Bhadravathi

Foundation Day      : 21 May, 1973

Present Apostolate : Education, Social work, Pastoral work

 

On 29th June 1942, Mother John Bosco, Mother Teresita and Mother Antonia arrived from Mary Immaculate Convent, Shimoga, at the request of the authorities of MISL, Bhadravathi to take charge of the Welfare Girl’s Middle School. They occupied MISL quarters. The sisters had to face all sorts of difficulties and obstacles. In December 1957 with approval of Superior General the sisters resigned and joined the community at Nirmala Hospital, Old Town. MISL authorities had not given up on the sisters even though they had resigned from Welfare School. In September 1959, they requested the sisters to open an English medium School. Mother Virginie accepted the offer, on condition that she also would be permitted to open a Kannada medium school for the poor population. On 21 st May 1973 the sisters found a separate community with Mother Theresita as its superior. St. Charles Kannada School opened on 1 st June 1960 with the strength of 75 students with Sr. Louisa Rasquinha as its first headmistress. The school obtained recognition in December 1961 and in October 1971 students occupied the new building. Till then classes were conducted in the church hall and MISL Trainees quarters. St. Charles English School: An English school was started on 15th June 1960 in the same premises for students from Std 1 to 10. On 20th November 1977 the new K.G and Nursery building was constructed and inaugurated in 1979. The K.G students were shifted to community building basement in 1984 and the same building was used for newly started Kannada high school. On 3rd June 2002, a Play home was opened by Sr. Camilla, the then superior to reach out to the working parents and give employment to the women. PU and Degree College:- On 29 th June 2006 the new building started with Sr. Carmine D’costa, the pioneer principal and 21 students for science and 6 for commerce. With the demand for higher studies by parents and students in 2009 emerged the St. Charles Degree College.

St. Charles Special School: Sr. Icy Sylvia, the special educator and Sr. Juliet the social centre co-coordinator, made a good study by visiting the special children in our neighbourhood, and realized the need for special school. St. Charles special school was inaugurated on 21 st November 2015, with a view of providing service to the differently abled children. Social Work Centre:- The mission of social work began in the year 2001 by Sr. Sylvia Das along with 5 staff namely Mrs.Mary, Mrs. Gracy Das, Mrs. Asha, Mrs. Padma and Mrs. Shalome. The main aspects of this mission are: Prison ministry, Micro financing for farming, agriculture purpose and education of children. Medical/free health check-ups, counselling, reaching out to the home bounds and needy women and children. Awareness programmes on environmental concerns, creating resources for a decent livelihood, sanitization/hygienic conditions of women/girls and elderly, healthy diet, mental health, etc. The community of sisters is engaged in teaching mission imparting holistic education and catering to the needy students as well as providing pastoral and spiritual care to the people of the locality.

St. Charles Borromeo

Fr.Adrien Bresy the founder proposed St.Chareles Borromeo as Patron of the Congregation

 

Our Crest

The whole crest is surrounded by lilies and violets in the midst of which is the motto: LABOUR, FAITH, and PROGRESS. The entire crest is surmounted by a Cross radiating the divine rays.

Video Gallery

Contact Us

Sisters of St Charles Borromeo

Western Province
Villa Borromeo,
44/1, Hennur Road,
St. Thomas Town - (P.O)
P.O- Bangalore – 560084

Phone - 080 – 25473003

Email stcharlesbangalore@gmail.com

Web stcharlesbangalore.org

Search