The Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo
Western province - Bangalore

Villa Borromeo, 44/1, Hennur Road, St. Thomas Town - (P.O) Bangalore – 560084

 

Premanjali - St. Charles Novitiate, Byrathi Bangalore

Foundation Day      :  1987

Present Apostolate :  Formation Ministry Pastoral apostolate

 

The novitiate is the required probationary period prior to profession of vows in a religious institute during which the aspiring religious are initiated into the life of the religious institute and her call to the institute is verified. The first novitiate house of the Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo in India was opened at Mary Immaculate Convent, Shimoga on 31 may 1935. On 12 August 1938, the Novitiate was shifted to Ulsoor, Bangalore and Mother Marguerite Marie was appointed as the novice mistress. In 1942, the Novitiate had to be shifted back to Mary immaculate Convent, Shimoga on account of World War II and due to the air raids in Bangalore. The Novitiate was once again shifted to Bangalore at Richards Town on 19 th May 1949 with Mother Marguerite continuing as novice mistress. In 1985, the golden jubilee year of the Indian Novitiate was celebrated with great solemnity. It was during this year the Congregation felt that it should adapt to the signs of the times in keeping with the new trends and documents on formation. It was thought ideal to move to a quiet location. The brain behind this move was none other than Sr. Benigna the then novice mistress. Keeping in mind the importance of all round formation namely, physical, spiritual, psychological, pastoral and social in greater freedom the novitiate was established in the present setting of Byrathi, Doddagubbi of the then rural Bangalore. The dream became a reality only in 1987, when Sr. Sheila Corda was appointed the novice mistress. The formation team comprising of, Sr. Zita D’Souza, Sr Sheila Corda and Sr Hilda Fernandes with 26 novices moved to occupy Premanjali on the 20th January 1987 and solemnly inaugurated the new premises with the blessing by the ArchBishop, Rev Dr. Alphonsus Mathias on 24 January 1987, feast of St Francis De Sales – patron of spiritual life and youth. The building was extended in 1993. A new kitchen block, two dormitories, a sisters’ block and the extension of the classroom was constructed to accommodate the growing number of novices increased hence the second year novitiate was shifted to “Arpana” in Tirupattur. From 2012, as the number of novices declined the first and second year novices were once again housed at Premanjali. Premanjali – the cradle of the congregation is indeed an offering of love where the young aspiring religious are moulded, mentored and assisted to reach their ideals.

St. Charles Borromeo

Fr.Adrien Bresy the founder proposed St.Chareles Borromeo as Patron of the Congregation

 

Our Crest

The whole crest is surrounded by lilies and violets in the midst of which is the motto: LABOUR, FAITH, and PROGRESS. The entire crest is surmounted by a Cross radiating the divine rays.

Video Gallery

Contact Us

Sisters of St Charles Borromeo

Western Province
Villa Borromeo,
44/1, Hennur Road,
St. Thomas Town - (P.O)
P.O- Bangalore – 560084

Phone - 080 – 25473003

Email stcharlesbangalore@gmail.com

Web stcharlesbangalore.org

Search