The Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo
Western province - Bangalore

Villa Borromeo, 44/1, Hennur Road, St. Thomas Town - (P.O) Bangalore – 560084

 

Mary Immaculate Convent - Shivamogga

Foundation Day      : 1933

Present Apostolate : Education, Pastoral, Social apostolate

 

    Spirit’s call: The voice of God came through Msgr. Despatures, who desired the aroma of the sisters of St. Charles in his diocese of Shimoga. On the 10 th February, 1933 three sisters Mother St. John Kennedy, Mother Clemence Van den Broecke and Mother Virginie Amand left the hive of the congregation of Indian missions at Ranipet, to answer the invitation of Msgr. Despatures. They arrived at the Bishop’s house in Bangalore on 11th February and reached Shimoga on the next day. Msgr. Despatures welcomed them with fatherly kindness along with the parish priest Rev. Fr. J. D. D’ Souza. Solid foundation: The new foundation was put under the protection of our Blessed Mother and was named “Mary Immaculate Convent”. Msgr. Despature had a spacious house built for the sisters. Rev. Fr. D’souza helped in preparing the foundation of this mission. The official inauguration was on 15 th February 1933. The whole of Shimoga had a festive look. The church and the convent were beautifully decorated. The impressive procession from the presbytery to the church was composed by the Maharajah’s guards, accompanied by the military band, with a grand honour and a rare privilege. After the Pontifical High mass, the sisters were brought in procession to the new house by Msgr. Despatures, Fr. D’ Souza and five other priests. Mother Virginie became the first superior of the house .The superior then dedicated the convent to Mary Immaculate, whose statue was installed on the little altar in the corner of the front veranda. The Beginnings: 17 February 1933 was a memorable day. The first Eucharist was celebrated in the chapel by Bishop assisted by Fr. Joseph D’ Souza. His Lordship presented the Ciborium, the altar canons and the stations of the cross to the chapel along with other gifts. Rev. Fr. Faisandier, who was the procurator, left in his will his precious Chalice and other generous legacies for the sisters. The sisters renewed whole heartedly their missionary consecration during mass.

Mission of compassion: As they settled down they stared the study of regional language. Rev. Fr. J. D’ Souza himself was their teacher. Later in April a dispensary was opened under the patronage of St. Joseph. The sisters planned to continue the mission with education for the lesser privileged classes especially the girls. As the spirit inspired, they involved themselves in the field of education, social work, medical and pastoral work. In all their work the Lord’s presence was strongly felt. Presently the ‘mission of compassion’ is been carried on in Shivamogga with the encouraging support and appreciation from people. All credit goes to the heroines who started with bits which today has reached its best. Thanks to God and to our pioneers!

St. Charles Borromeo

Fr.Adrien Bresy the founder proposed St.Chareles Borromeo as Patron of the Congregation

 

Our Crest

The whole crest is surrounded by lilies and violets in the midst of which is the motto: LABOUR, FAITH, and PROGRESS. The entire crest is surmounted by a Cross radiating the divine rays.

Video Gallery

Contact Us

Sisters of St Charles Borromeo

Western Province
Villa Borromeo,
44/1, Hennur Road,
St. Thomas Town - (P.O)
P.O- Bangalore – 560084

Phone - 080 – 25473003

Email stcharlesbangalore@gmail.com

Web stcharlesbangalore.org

Search