The Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo
Western province - Bangalore

Villa Borromeo, 44/1, Hennur Road, St. Thomas Town - (P.O) Bangalore – 560084

 

S.C.B Overseas Mission

It was the year 1982. Our Congregation, founded in 1684 was starting to prepare itself to celebrate the third centenary of its birth. A challenging call from Lord of the missions to share the faith and Charism of the congregation and to reach out to the nations afar was felt intensely.

M. Marie Henriette Renson- the Superior General and her council were enlightened to implant the Congregation in Latin America. While they were in a search for further information and direction they were presented with the letter of Mgr. Jorge Gottau, asking for missionaries - priests and religious to work in his diocese of Añatuya that is in the Province of Santiago del Estero of Argentina.

The Lord never fails, His light is ever bright in our search. 

In one of the first letters that M. Marie Henriette received from the bishop of Añatuya, it was written, “With great pleasure I accept the sisters of your Congregation whom you offer me to tend the poor and the marginalized of my diocese.” What a coincidence! The objective of the invitation of this zealous bishop and the charism of our congregation are the same. 

On the 5th of May, 1984 the pioneer community comprising Srs. Elizabeth, Anacletus and Alicia, was installed in El Colorado. The chapel was blessed and dedicated to the Immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary. It is the people who had requested their Pastor for a chapel and for the presence of the religious in this place, and they had put in their sweat in erecting these two buildings. For them a great dream was getting realised. Every year on this date, this event is commemorated by them. 

The Sisters soon started vigorously their pastoral activities in El Colorado and in the surrounding villages. People here were like sheep without a shepherd. Spiritual assistance and sacraments were administered only once a year by a missionary priest who was visiting this place from a far away city. Sisters found the people very receptive, there was a thirst in them to receive the Word of God, sisters felt accepted by them and were happy to be engaged in conveying the ‘Good News’ and confirming their faith. 

Soon the mission extended to the other parts of the country for there was a crucial need for the presence of the Religious .The communities at Tacanitas, Campo Gallo, Rio Cuarto, San Francisco and Buenos Aires were formed successively which are directed by the Provincialate at Rio Cuarto presently. 

We are engaged in different apostolates in these six communities. Pastoral care to the people in remote villages and those in our institutions, social activities to mobilise peoples’ power and finance to provide housing and water facilities, education of the youth , caring for the youth in the boarding homes,giving integral care to the old people in the home for the aged, etc.are the works that the sisters wield as instruments to bring God to His people.

 

 

The Belgium Region comprises of three communities, Wez-Velvain, Peruwelz and Antoing. All are within the diocese of Tournai.

WEZ-VELVAIN

‘The Mother House’

Wez is the place of the foundation of the Congregation and where the Superior General with her Councillors resides. It is also the place where all the Sisters of the Region gather for the retreat, conferences, celebrations, ceremonies and meetings. The sisters of the community are occupied with different activities. The senior sisters by their prayers and exemplary lives support the sisters who are actively engaged in the apostolate. The diverse apostolic works of the community are: 

THE PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL

It has had its beginning which dates back to 1716 but was closed down in 1805. In the year 1979 was re-opened and is in service till today. In the year 1988, the institution was handed over to ACIS (Association Chrétienne des Institutions Socials et de santé) which has modernised the equipment, has provided quality service through qualified staff and facilitates the continuity of the Christian Spirit and the charism of the Congregation. The Sisters who are employed in the institution offer service in various capacities and uphold the spirit of the Charism. And along with their lay colleagues maintain the Christian Spirit. They actively take part in rendering pastoral service and moral guidance to the patients in collaboration with the commissions in-charge. They render dedicated service that builds good relationship and keep alive the spiritual fervour in the inmates.

PRIMARY SCHOOL

The history of this school begins from 1685 when the parish priest of that time, Fr.Adrien Bresy took into his care the necessity of giving Christian instruction to his 'little flock'.

The children of the village and those of the neighbouring villages that belonged to other municipal regions were soon enrolled in the School. St.Charles Maternal and Primary School, in the Convent premises has long been lavishing its careful teaching and inculcating in children the educational values without any barrier of class ;creed.etc.

The main objectives of the School are, to give particular attention to the poor, to pay due respect to the other, to protect the environment, to put in hard work, to be receptive, to share and to develop a spirit of service.

 St.CHARLES' PRAYER HOUSE

This was inaugurated in the year 1995, and it is a place of reception, of peace, of resource, of serenity and fraternity. The building that was raised in the year 1946 originally for the managerial School is big enough and is modified to offer lodging. It is conducive to hold meetings, gatherings, conferences, and retreats. It has a capacity of 80 beds and is provided with complete boarding facilities. It is within the Convent premises and is taken care of by 2 Sisters. For further information the contact means are:

Postal: Centre d'accueil, Foyer St.Charles,33-Rue du Chauchoir,7620-Wez-Velvain.

Tel: 06934 65 06 Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

'THE FARM HOUSE'

The farm house inaugurated in the year 2001, set up in a natural, calm atmosphere, is conducive for holding small community/family gatherings, individual and small group retreats, to relax in solitude, etc. With 5 bed rooms, a large sitting room and a kitchen well equipped it offers a number of possibilities to spend the days here. It is located by the side of the Prayer House. All communications are received at the same end mentioned above.

Other than being employed in these institutions the sisters are also engaged in teaching catechism to children of the parish, visiting the sick etc .

 

PERUWELZ

The community of Peruwelz is one that is involved mainly in the St.Charles Secondary School which gives General Secondary course with technical and professional optional courses. Faithful to the apostolic spirit that animates the Congregation, education of children remains still the primary motivation of the community.

The multiple choices in the professional courses enable the Sisters to offer support to the misfortunate and the poor and thus keep alive the spirit of the Charism. The School has a special place for reception to be available and to listen to every individual in need. Their other fields of apostolate are: Visiting the sick; Taking Holy Communion to the disabled, Active membership in the Parish Council and Union of Religious Congregation of Tournai.

 

ANTOING

The community of Antoing was installed in 1986 in the in the house provided by the parish. The community plays a prime role in all the projects of the parishes under the Deanery of Antoing. Teaching Catechism, preparing for reception of sacraments, assisting the funeral ceremonies, animation of liturgy- choir, visiting the sick and the old, active participation in EAP (Equipe de Animation Parossiale) etc.

They give their much appreciated co-operation to the council members of the parish. Thus by their edifying life and work they endeavour to be the bearers of 'Good News' to the people around.

Video Gallery

Contact Us

Sisters of St Charles Borromeo

Western Province
Villa Borromeo,
44/1, Hennur Road,
St. Thomas Town - (P.O)
P.O- Bangalore – 560084

Phone - 080 – 25473003

Email stcharlesbangalore@gmail.com

Web stcharlesbangalore.org

Search