The Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo
Western province - Bangalore

Villa Borromeo, 44/1, Hennur Road, St. Thomas Town - (P.O) Bangalore – 560084

 

St.Charles Convent St. Thomas Town, Bengaluru

Foundation Day      : 1938

Present Apostolate : Education, Social, Pastoral apostolate, Home for destitute women

January 6, 1938 was a great and glorious day recorded in the annals of St. Thomas Town convent. Mother Virginie was chosen as the pioneer for the new foundation at Bangalore. Mother Jean Bosco and Mother St. Augustine were the co-pioneers. The enthusiastic missionaries were welcomed by his Excellency, Msgr Maurice B. Despartures at the railway station. They proceeded to Ulsoor where St. Charles Convent would be situated. It was quiet close to the new church of Our Lady Of Lourdes. A little dispensary was blessed by Rev. F. X. Noronha .The poor patients seeking remedies for their ills visited the dispensary so much so that by 25 th of February, four hundred patients were already treated in the dispensary. 1n 1944 Rev. Fr. Cyril Browns had started a K.G school on 11 Clarke Road, with a view of providing basic Christian education to the catholic children of the locality. The sisters were contacted and an offer was made to take over the project. Mother Virginie recognised the will of God and readily accepted the offer. The first inspection of the school was on 11 June, 1946. Dr. Huster was very pleased to see the rapid development of the school and the efficiency of the staff. There was now scope for educating the many Indian and Anglo Indian children of the locality. The sisters after occupying several temporary dwellings in Richards’ town settled in the present property at Hennur Road. The new St.Charles school building was blessed on 22 May, 1950 by Msgr. Thomas Pothacamury Bishop of Bangalore. Nirmala Kannada Primary School was begun on 25 May, 1952. Mother Angela was the first headmistress. Nirmala Dispensary was opened and blessed on 11 February, 1958 by Fr .Sean Kelleher CSsR who was the convent chaplain from 1956-1959. His grace the Archbishop of Bangalore S. D. Lourdhuswamy blessed the St. Charles Maternity Home on 7 June 1959. On 25 August 1969 the crèche was opened for the children of working mothers.

The new orphanage building was blessed on 19 March, 1970 where the abandoned children were given shelter, care and education by the sisters. In the year 1970, Sr. Sophie started development works in the slum of Bagalur lay out. This became a centre for non-formal education and social development work for women. In course of time this project was sanctioned by the government. With the aid of Karnataka Women and Child Welfare Department the permission to begin a destitute cottage for the children of Bagulur layout was granted in 1974. What we are today is the fruit of the hard work and sacrifices of our pioneers and all the sisters who rendered their joyful service to reach to this level of progress, growth and development of the community and its apostolate.

 

St. Charles Borromeo

Fr.Adrien Bresy the founder proposed St.Chareles Borromeo as Patron of the Congregation

 

Our Crest

The whole crest is surrounded by lilies and violets in the midst of which is the motto: LABOUR, FAITH, and PROGRESS. The entire crest is surmounted by a Cross radiating the divine rays.

Video Gallery

Contact Us

Sisters of St Charles Borromeo

Western Province
Villa Borromeo,
44/1, Hennur Road,
St. Thomas Town - (P.O)
P.O- Bangalore – 560084

Phone - 080 – 25473003

Email stcharlesbangalore@gmail.com

Web stcharlesbangalore.org

Search